North Berwick Law, also known simply as Berwick Law, is a conical hill which rises conspicuously from the surrounding landscape (this is the definition of the Lowland Scots word "law"). It overlooks the East Lothian town of North Berwick and stands at 613 ft above sea level. Geologically, the law is a volcanic plug of hard phonolitic trachyte rock of Carboniferous age. It has survived the scraping glaciers of the ice age. It is a crag and tail with a prominent tail extending eastwards. The summit bears remnants of an Iron Age hill fort, and the ruins of later military buildings that were once used by lookouts in both the Napoleonic Wars, and in World War II. A jawbone has stood there since 1709, the last one having been there since 1933. On 26 June 2008, a fibreglass replica whale bone, the same size as the one that was removed in 2005, was airlifted into place to give North Berwick Law back its famous landmark. The funding for the replica was donated by an anonymous friend of North Berwick.